Monday, September 21, 2015

1/2 Marathon Race Day Tips


If you set your mind to anything you can do it! I am so proud of myself for completing my first 1/2 marathon. And if you asked me yesterday afterwards I would have said it was my last one!!

Here are my top tips to help you have a successful first race:

  • PREPARE~lay out everything you need for before the race, know where your going and double check your gear.
  • Attach your bib to your shirt and try out your whole outfit the night before (a lot of people even do a dry run in their clothes, even undies, to make sure everything fits good and nothing moves or bothers you while running
  • Arrive early and wear clothes that you can discard (this is a great chance to go through your closet and get rid of a sweater or pants that would be headed to Goodwill). Discard at the starting line. 
  • Plan to have a low key prior day! Avoid alcohol and get plenty of water to go into the race hydrated.
  • Get a great night sleep and set your alarm for the next day (easier said than done so I relay on Simply Sleep or Tylenol pm to help me rest on a big night/day).
  • Eat a light meal (I never eat before a race but since this was a long distance I had some toast with peanut butter which was the perfect pre-race meal for me).
  • Enjoy yourself during the race! Remind yourself what all your hard work was for. I liked to use positive thinking and it really helped. I reminded myself that I trained and I was feeling strong and great (and I truly was so that helped)
  • Smile for the cameras on the course. They are taking your picture using your bib. You will want some great memories to commiserate your achievement.
  • Those last two miles are the hardest. Push, push, push!!! Make sure your playlist is timed so your favorite songs are last. I had to grab my phone out of my flip belt and change the song. Next time I will have it timed better.
  • Smile when you cross the finish line and listen for them to call your name. They randomly call out names and mine was called. It was amazing for that second.
  • Look for the friends and family who came to cheer you on!!
  • They hand out mylar blankets (looks like a giant piece of foil). Your body suddenly feels like it is going into shock so wrap that blanket around you and get your medal. Don't forget to congratulate yourself!!!
  • As you walk through the exit tent make sure to pick up some food. You will not want it the minute you are done but you will be sorry if you don't get any. I didn't think I wanted anything but I wasn't able to go back in so my hubby had to sneak in and "steal" me some when hunger kicked in.
  • Head to the massage tent and put your name in for a massage. Favorite part! It wasn't enough though so next time I am scheduling a massage for the day of and then a few days later. I am sitting here suffering and wishing I could be at a massage now.
Here is my recommendation for gear to have with you for the race:
  • bag you can check (nothing expensive in case it get's lost or stolen)
  • Flip Belt or similar "fanny pack" I loved having my hands free and storing my phone in the flip belt for the whole race
  • sunglasses!
  • Phone/music player and headphones
  • lip balm
Lastly, I recommend seeing if your race does "pre-course" runs. This was a huge advantage because the course looked familiar when running it. It felt amazing knowing that I was close to the end and when to really PUSH it!

I hope your first 1/2 marathon is as race-tastic as mine was!!!


No comments :

Post a Comment