Friday, September 18, 2015

Weekend of the the 1/2 Marathon

I started training for my first 1/2 marathon about 4 months ago. I feel strong. I feel determined. Do I feel ready to run 13.1 miles yet? Nope!! 

About month ago, a friend and I ran 8 miles and it was tough. I don't know about adding another 5 miles onto those 8 miles. I don't know if it made a difference but we ran in the pouring rain. I love running in the rain but I am sure it contributed to the nasty chest cold I got a few weeks later.

My back was really killing afterwards after the 8 mile run. Since it was my birthday my hubby surprised me with a 90 minute massage. I realized that this was the missing piece in my training. I have never felt better after that massage. The next day I ran a super fast 3 miles and felt as light as air. I most definitely have more appointments scheduled to help keep my body loose in the last month before the race.

The last month I did as many different Beachbody workouts and ran as consistently as I could. It is not always easy with 4 kids and a busy life. And to make matters worse we entered ear infection season. Yes, we have a name for this nasty bacteria in our house of kids and a Mom with oddly shaped ear channels that breed bacteria. You would think ear infections are contagious with the number of ear infections we have had in the last month. Not 1. Not 2. Not 3. Not 4. BUT 5 people, including me (seriously a Mom getting an ear infection? That is just absurd!). I had a weird chest cold which left me feeling great and unable to breathe. I am sure the kids were miserable too but this is my feeling sorry for myself rant. That was a lot of time spent getting Doctor appointments, going to Doctor appointments and getting prescriptions. 

The most mileage I ran pre-race was 10 miles. And.it.was.tough! There are not words to describe how I felt at the end except I just laid down on my sidewalk outside my house (I know, I know your not supposed to sit or lay after running) but I felt fatigued. My daughter asked my husband, "Is Mommy dead?" And I am sure I looked like that just laying there but it felt so wonderful! I think the tough feeling was the cold I had. 

So here I am the Friday before the race. I get to do the fun things like pick up the race packet (and try not to buy any extra not needed but always wanted sweatshirts, shirts, etc), get my clothes ready (check), chiropractor adjustment (check, thanks Dr. Curt) and just eat healthy for the rest of the weekend. 

If I'm not ready now I won't ever be ready. So wish me luck as I cross off my first item on my before turning 40 bucket list (I'm 37 so I have a few years that I can think of some really good bucket list wishes). 

Good luck to all my fellow 1/2 and full marathon crazy runners!

No comments :

Post a Comment