Saturday, July 18, 2015

Diary of a 1/2 Marathon Training Mommy ~ Entry 3

Today (Sunday) was my 2nd organized group run. It was with the same running group, people training for the Fox Valley 1/2 marathon. So out of my comfort zone to just show up with people I don't know, never met and won't have conversation with (remember head phones are on and blaring while I run). I picked a different pace group this time. The 9:30 group was little to slow last time so I just moved to the 9 minute group. This one felt perfect for me. Not too fast and not too slow. And actually some of our splits were faster than 9 minutes. That is probably one of the best things about running in a group...you suddenly all want you to run little faster and tougher than you planned. The course is a beautiful path and on a nice summer morning it was a quick 7 miles. 

Tomorrow I bring nutrition and meal planning into my training program when I begin a 3 week program, the 21 Day Fix. I have kind "half assed" this in the past but this time I am ready to be serious and really follow the program. So much so that I celebrated my 100% devotion with my last Health and Butterfinger small Dairy Queen blizzard...bye bye ice cream now!!

It has been a week and 1/2 of cross training with the 21 Day Fix. I can't say that I stuck strictly to the dietary portion of the Fix (it has been hard with the amount of working out that I do). And, I have a serious sweet tooth that can never be curbed. BUT I have diligently done the daily workouts and added in my runs as needed for my training. The result is strong legs and a more powerful core. I have been very happy having these 30 minute workouts in my training. 

This last Friday night was blistering out. My hubby and I went on a super hot, fast long run of 5 miles through the Elmhurst area. If I lived in Elmhurst I would be able to concur serious mileage. I could never get out of areas to run there. 

Now Saturday was another story. It was blistering hot, 90 degrees, and if I didn't run at 11:00 am I would lose my opportunity to run for the weekend. I decided on a nice slow run at 10 minutes per mile so I wouldn't overheat or hurt myself. You can tell by the smile on my face afterwards that it was the right decision. What you can't see is that I am so drenched I could wring my undies out. Serious sweat going on!



Another few fabulous weeks of running. The trick really has been squeezing in short runs during the week, doing long runs on the weekend, cross training as much as possible and trying to eat a balanced diet. 

It is July 18th and the 1/2 marathon is almost in exactly 2 months. I am feeling strong!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment