Thursday, July 16, 2015

Why I like working out?


My daughter asked me to why I like working out? What a loaded question. Do I tell her the truth or to I give the "right" answer. The one that is politically correct and will her grow with proper self esteem about her body?

Well for starters, why do I like to get sweaty first thing in the morning? Why do I like to make more laundry for myself? Why do I like to spend 30 (60 minutes if I am lucky and how often am I actually lucky) minutes to myself with no one interrupting me?

The things I don't tell her are because if I don't my skin will sag even more than it already is. Four kids later I don't have the same body I did before them. I sure wish I appreciated the body I had before kids. The stomach I thought was there? Um non existent. Now, if I don't workout I can't button my jean shorts if I don't because my pudge gets too large. If I work out I can button it and not have a muffin top (a run a day keeps the muffin top away!).

I don't tell her because I want, no need to workout to keep me mentally sane. I workout so I have less of a chance of blowing a mommy fuse during the day when 4 kids pester me constantly All.The.Time.

I don't tell her that I really work out so I can maintain the body I was blessed (not in vanity, I have flaws, I am 36, almost 37 years old and I need to work very hard now) with after 4 children. Working out is about being healthy, living longer, keeping diseases away yea yea yea. I truly believe all this but in all honestly my main reason for working out is to look good. Vain. Yes. Do I care no? Do I tell my daughter? No. 

What I do tell my daughter is that I love her the way she is because she is truly perfect to me. AND I love myself because I know that everything that I am today, good or bad, is because of my 4 blessings that I wouldn't change a thing about. Excess skin, hard work and all I am showing them, no teaching them, how to take care of themselves for the rest of their lives. I am giving them a skill that can't be taught actually it has to be demonstrated and shown.

Now that MY truth is out what is your truth? I won't tell will you?


My 10 year old is working on her own answer to her question and here is her thoughtful response. 

SO I ASKED MY MOM WHY DO YOU LIKE WORKING OUT SO MUCH?  I MEAN I KNOW I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WONDERING THAT, SO I TOLD HER SHE SHOULD MAKE A BLOG POST ABOUT IT.  HERE SHE IS MAKING A POST ABOUT IT.  SHE SAYS THAT WORKING OUT GIVES HER THE BODY SHE WANTS TO HAVE WHEN SHE LEFT FOR A MINUTE I LOOKED AT WHAT SHE WROTE AND SAW WHAT SHE HADN’T WANTED ME TO SEE. SHE SAW ME AND IN A WAY I COULD TELL THAT SHE LOOKED EMBARRASSED.  I TOLD HER THAT WAS OK EVERYONE HAS PROS AND CONS AND ONE OF HER CONS MIGHT BE WHAT SHE WROTE BUT I KNOW HER PROS WERE HOW GOOD OF A MOMMY SHE IS!!!!!!!!   BY:  KAITLYN

No comments :

Post a Comment